Xavi Sala, Alacant (Catalan Countries), mexican nationalized. Graduated in Journalism. Screenwriter, Director and Producer. He is the author of several feature film scripts, with special mention to Viatge d’estudis (Finalist to the Pilar Miró long film awards in 2007) and Bienvenida, María (Finalist in the SGAE Julio Alejandro contest, 2004).
He has directed 9 short films and participated in many festivals, where he has received more than 80 awards and has become internationally acknowledged. Some of these Film Festivals are: Tampere, Oberhausen, Dresden, San Sebastian, Berlin, Guadalajara, Sao Paulo, Huesca, Alcalá de Henares, Los Angeles, Chicago, Montreal, Seul, Sidney, Tanger, etc. His short Hiyab was nominated to the Goya Awards.
He has extensive teaching experience as a professor of film script in Mexico and several countries around the world: CCC, UNAM, UAEMex, Centro, Arte 7, CIBEF, Ciudad de la Luz (Alacant), EICTV San Antonio de los Baños (Cuba), Cultural Centers of Spain in Colombia, Brazil, Mexico, Chile, Peru, Uruguay, Paraguay, Bolivia, Marruecos and Equatorial Guinea as well as Script consultant at Proimágenes, Ministry of Culture of Colombia. In Mexico City he has worked as a screenwriter for the television company Argos and Ítaca Films, and he has co-written a movie with the actress Ofelia Medina.
In 2018 he has finished his movie Xquipi’ Guie’dani (Guie’dani’s Navel), his first feature film as a director, selected by Sundance Lab of Oaxaca (Mexico), winner of the Procine Award and Cinépolis Distribution Award at the Morelia Film Festival.
- Xquipi’ Guie’dani (Guie’dani’s navel) (Feature film/ Fiction/ 2018 /118’/ DCP 2K)
- El nacimiento (The Birth) (Short/ 2012 / 13’/ DCP 2K)
- El reloj (The Watch) (Short/ documentary/ 2011 / 13’/ 35 mm)
- La autoridad (The Authority) (Short/ 2010 / 10’/ 35 mm)
- La parabólica (The Parabolic Dish) (Short/ 2007 / 12’/ 35 mm)
- En el instituto (In the High School) (Short/ 2006 / 3’/ 35 mm)
- Hiyab (Short/ 2006 / 8’/ 35 mm) (Nominated Spanish Goya Awards)
- Los padres (Parents) (Short/ 2004 / 5’/ 35 mm)
- Maleteros (Trunks) (Short/ 2003/ 9’/ 35 mm)
- 60 años (60 years old) (Short/ 2002 / 13’/ 35 mm)